Hello Gordonsville Baptist Church Family!
As we begin Advent, it is a great time to begin a regular Bible reading plan! Advent is a season of preparation. Preparing our hearts and minds not only for Christmas but also for Christ’s return. Each week in the season of Advent we focus on Hope, Peace, Joy, and Love we have in and through Christ Jesus. Here are some scriptures to help focus on the topic of each week:
• Week 1, Hope: And again, Isaiah says, “The Root of Jesse will spring up, one who will arise to rule over the nations; in him the Gentiles will hope.” May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit. Romans 15:12-13
• Week 2, Peace: For to us a child is born, to us a son is given, and the government will be on his shoulders. And he will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, EverlastingFather, Prince of Peace. Isaiah 9:6
• Week 3, Joy: “As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you. Now remain in my love. If you keep my commands, you will remain in my love, just as I have kept my Father’s commands and remain in his love. I have told you this so that my joy may be in you and that your joy may be complete.” John 15:9-11
• Week 4, Love: Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’ This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.” Matthew 22:37-39
I would also like to share with you a daily devotional that you can access online for free. It is an amazing resource and gives you a great basis for your daily devotion and Bible study. Just type this (https://bit.ly/3MJZ2pR) into your web browser and you can download and print. If you need a printed copy just let me know and I will get you a copy.
Wishing You a Merry Christmas
and a Blessed New Year,
Excerpts from Minutes of November 9 Business Meeting:
• That we dissolve the Pastor Search Committee.
• That we upgrade GBC’s security camera system using Night Hawk Security Systems, and add three (3) additional cameras and a new monitor. The estimated cost for this is $3,045.00. Funding to come from the Money Market Capital Improvement and Buildings and Grounds Fund.
• That we (GBC) do whatever repairs are necessary to make the church parsonage functional. If anyone would like to volunteer, Buildings and Grounds will have a list of what needs to be done. GBC will pay for expenses but no personal fees or per hour fees.
• Revised Budget for 2023, with added ministerial expenses, and the 2024 Budget were adopted.
• That we increase our broadcasting license (CCLI streaming) for $160.00 per year.
Want a voice in the workings of your church? Attend the next Business Meeting on
January 10, 2024 at 7 PM.
WEEK OF PRAYER FOR INTERNATIONAL MISSIONS/ LOTTIE MOON OFFERING
December 3—December 10, 2023 GBC GOAL: $ 2,500
(There are contribution envelopes in your offering box and in the Sanctuary pew racks.)
PRAISE THE LORD! Our church family donated 441 (429+12 on line) shoe boxes to Operation Christmas Child! We have also collected $ 913.69 for Global Hunger Relief. Our
Fall Festival/Brunswick Stew total was $ 5,100 (which will be divided between the GBC Benevolence Fund and the Orange Love Outreach Food Panty). God bless all who contributed to
Operation Christmas Child . . . Please pray that every child who receives a shoe box will know that God is the source of the gift. Also, pray for our TEAM (Kyle and Marsha Clements,
Pam Carpenter, Tammy McGehee, Ryan and Sue Stacy, and possibly others) who will be traveling to Charlotte, NC, on December 3-5 to help in the Operation Christmas Child Distribution Center.
YOUTH / CHILDREN UPDATE
“But be doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving yourselves” (James 1:22 NKJV)
CHRISTMAS SPECIAL MUSIC
SUNDAY, DECEMBER 10, 2023
11 AM WORSHIP SERVICE
There will be a Children’s Christmas Party following Worship Service
in the Fellowship Hall (sponsored by the Children’s Committee) . . .
Everyone is invited to attend. Hope to see you on the 10th.
HANGING OF THE GREENS . . . If you would like to make a contribution “In Honor Of / In Memory Of” a loved one or friend, please fill out a form which is located on each entrance table to the sanctuary and put in the offering plate or drop by the church office. Make checks payable to GBC Flower Committee. Deadline is SUNDAY, DECEMBER 3.
(Sponsored by the Spiritual Seekers Sunday Bible Study Class)
SATURDAY, DECEMBER 16, 2023 5 — 8 PM
(arrive at church—Fellowship Hall—at 4:45 for costuming)
Please bring appetizer-type food.
If you have any questions, please talk to Rene Hounshell or Teresa Hicks who are coordinating the Live Nativity.
PRAISE CHOIR CANTATA
SUNDAY, DECEMBER 17, 2023
11 AM WORSHIP SERVICE
COMMUNITY CHRISTMAS EVE
DEACON-LED CANDLELIGHT SERVICE
SUNDAY, DEC. 24, 2023 7 PM